Art & Design
The Removes & Fifths
The GCSE course in Art and Design provides the student with a chance to learn a variety of techniques and explore his own creativity through various art based mediums. The course contains a series of projects each looking in some detail at a major twentieth century artistic movement. Recent projects have focused on Cubism, Futurism, Pop Art, Constructivism and Surrealism. Each has usually been introduced to the students via slide presentations which are supplemented with visits to major London galleries and exhibitions.
The Art Department houses a broad range of facilities which are all supervised by staff who have a thorough working knowledge of each specialist area. Students are given every opportunity to learn about numerous technical processes such as mould making, screen printing, painting, etching and aquatint, casting, Raku glazing and photography. Alongside these excellent studio facilities is the gallery space. There is a continuous exhibitions programme in place for the GCSE students and the community as a whole.
At the end of the two year course a student is expected to present a portfolio of project work which accounts for 60% of his final mark. The remaining 40% is for the examination piece which is produced during a supervised ten hour period and can be in the students preferred medium. If a student is strong in a particular area (e.g. painting) then he therefore has the chance to capitalise on his strengths and abilities and produce a piece of work using that particular medium.
Finally, it must be emphasised that this is a demanding yet extremely rewarding course that is in no way exclusively intended for those students with natural flair and ability towards the subject or exclusively for those intending to pursue art to Advanced Level. The Department aims to provide an excellent course of full tuition which is available to any student who demonstrates an enthusiasm and interest towards the subject. Such a course can provide the student with a stronger sense of self confidence and a greater sense of visual awareness.