During Shell Monday Activities we were set a model rocket making task, starting with smaller motors for the first week. The motors we used were solid fuel and to ignite the rocket we needed an ignition and a power supply to send an electrical charge to light the rocket.
During the second week we fired polystyrene cups by putting the solid fuel stuck to the bottom. The cups were very unpredictable because there was no stability without fins.
Then, for the third week, we used a rocket with two motors. This was exciting because by now we were using much bigger calibre solid fuels. The rocket was very successful and we managed to get it to a significant height. It was very interesting to find out that talcum powder can be used to help the parachute come out.
Report by George Perkins, C Social, Shell