• Radley College, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 2HR
  • Telephone: 01235 543000, Fax: 01235 543106





Main Menu

Share Options

Website Search

Word Processors in Exams

JCQ regulations, which govern students' arrangements for GCSE and A levels and which we also use for Common Entrance, state that a candidate is allowed to use a word processor/laptop when it is appropriate and it represents a boy’s ‘normal way of working’.

In order to confirm that a candidate is allowed to use a word processor/laptop for Common Entrance, Radley needs to receive the appropriate supporting evidence from the feeder school.

Boys are reassessed in Year 9 (Shells) at Radley, on their means of writing, as well as other access arrangements in future public exams. Continued use of a word processor/laptop is allowed in the Shells and throughout a boy's time at Radley if it is recommended by the Academic Support department, in consultation with a boy's teaching dons and possibly a specialist assessor. Successful completion of a touch typing course is required, if a boy is to word process in examinations.   

It should be noted that we strongly believe boys both with and without specific learning support needs are disadvantaged if they do not develop the skills of handwriting. We expect boys to practise that skill in the course of the Shell year where handwriting remains, for the majority, the normal method of working in class, in prep, and in examinations. Boys who use a word processor/laptop will still have to hand write work where typing is not appropriate.

Referrals to Academic Support for handwriting support can come at any stage of a boy's career at Radley but the sooner they are referred, the more chance of success. The handwriting recovery programme takes place in APT and is backed up with practice exercises until completion. 

A decision regarding handwriting or word processing in examinations will be made once the handwriting recovery programme and a touch typing course are successfully completed, and will be accompanied by professional input and evidence from teaching dons. The expertise of a specialist assessor are not required but may be taken into account.  

Further details can be found in the Special Educational Needs Disability policy on the policies page.


Main Menu